A delicious, food-first cultural journey guided by nomadic epicurean Melony van der Merwe
Southern Africa is one of the greatest wildlife destinations on Earth, but it also has a rich, dynamic culinary scene worth exploring. We’re working with our favorite nomadic epicurean, Melony van der Merwe — who weaves together extraordinary culinary experiences rooted in culture, history, and spirituality — to create bespoke, food-first trips in this diverse region.
This two-week journey will give you a full culinary immersion in this special part of Africa, with three nights in Cape Town, two nights in the Cape Winelands, six nights in Botswana, and two nights in Zambia. You’ll forage for shellfish and take a cooking class in Cape Town, savor a farm-to-table meal in the Winelands, enjoy a private interpretive walk with the Bushmen of Makgadikgadi to learn about wild edible and medicinal plants, and share a meal in Zambia. And don’t forget, we’re experts at tailoring trips to your interests and timeline, whether that’s one special night in Cape Town, or a month-long journey through southern Africa.
Soul-Nourishing Southern Africa: 14 days/13 nights
DAYS 1, 2 & 3
Arrive in Cape Town and transfer to Dorp Hotel
DAYS 4 & 5
Drive to the Cape Winelands, Babylonstoren
DAYS 6, 7 & 8
Days 6 – 8: Fly to Makgadikgadi, Botswana, San Camp
DAYS 9, 10 & 11
Transfer to the Okavango Delta in Botswana, Shinde Camp
DAYS 12 & 13
Drive to Okavango Delta, Tuludi Camp
Transfer back to Livingstone Airport, depart
Highlights of our Soul-Nourishing Southern Africa journey
- The journey begins in Cape Town, where you’ll check in to Dorp Hotel, a boutique property rooted in the city’s storied past. Ease into your culinary adventure with a sunset picnic on Table Mountain or Clifton’s Fourth Beach. A carefully curated basket of local food favorites and regional wines is the perfect introduction to the flavors of this dynamic city.
- Dive deep into Cape Town’s landscape on a foraging and lunch experience with Veld & Sea. You’ll spend the morning combing for seaweed and shellfish on Scarborough Beach, then later enjoy a multi-course lunch using these fresh-from-the-sea ingredients.
- In the Cape Winelands, a full farm-to-table immersion at agritourism mecca Babylonstoren awaits. One of the oldest Cape Dutch farms set at the foot of Simonsberg in the Franschhoek Wine Valley, your stay here will be a sensory journey through land, culture, and food, and a celebration of local delicacies.
- At San Camp in Botswana, you’ll enjoy a desert safari to contrast with your time in the Delta, but the culinary highlight here is a private interpretive ecological walk with the San Bushmen. On this journey into the wild, they’ll teach you about edible and medicinal plants, honey foraging, and their traditional way of life.
- The Okavango Delta’s lush, sparkling waterways teeming with wildlife make it an incredible choice for a safari. A stay here is even more special at Tuludi Camp, where you can spend a romantic night under the stars in their luxurious Sky Suite.
- Perched on the banks of the Zambezi River, Royal Chundu Island Lodge is one of the few places in Zambia that offers an authentic taste of local food traditions. All the cuisine you’ll enjoy here is created using seasonal, wild ingredients sustainably sourced through partnerships with local communities.
Please reach out to a member of our sales team for a quote.
Explore other itineraries
Whale-watching, Wine tasting and the Big 5
Cape Town, Winelands & Safari in the Eastern Cape, Visit Cape Town, the winelands and enjoy...
Incredible wildlife and plenty of adventure