Whale-watching, Wine tasting and the Big 5 on this luxury South Africa safari
If you’re heading to South Africa on a safari, it would be a shame to miss out on the other fabulous experiences the country has to offer: jaw-dropping scenery and cutting-edge culture in Cape Town, the opportunity to see whales up close down the coast, and wine-tasting at renowned estates in the Franschhoek and Stellenbosch Valleys. All of this and more on this luxury South Africa safari.
After all that, the chance to see animals in the wild is the cherry on top. Stay in a luxury lodge on a private reserve adjoining Kruger National Park, which allows you to go on off-road game drives and at night to see nocturnal animals, or opt for the malaria-free Madikwe Hills near the Botswana border. Return home with the knowledge that you’ve seen South Africa at its best.
Luxury South Africa safari: 11 days/10 nights
Highlights of luxury South Africa safari
- This 11-day itinerary begins with three nights at the One&Only Hotel in Cape Town. Explore the off-beat side of the city with your private guide, meeting artisans at the trendy East City Precinct and the folks behind uplifting township art projects. Take the cable car up Table Mountain, visit Robben Island, and explore the renowned Zietz MOCAA museum
- Take a scenic drive to Grootbos Private Reserve. The Whale Coast has the best land-based whale watching in the world from June to November, when southern right whales give birth to their calves. Head out on a marine safari, enjoy guided walks through the reserve, wine tasting in the nearby Hemel en Aarde, or horseback riding along the beach
- Meet your guide for a day of wine tasting in the Elgin Valley, where you’ll enjoy expertly crafted ciders, wine and deli treats. Depending on the time of year, meet the wine-makers or experience a barrel tasting. Stay at Leeu Estate in Franschhoek and taste the wines of the Franschhoek Valley aboard the a hop-on/hop-off wine tram. Alternatively, arrange for another day of private guiding to dig deeper into the vineyards of the valley.
- Return to Cape Town Airport for your flight to Kruger Mpumalanga and an onward flight to Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which shares an unfenced border with Kruger National Park. Embark on off-road game drives to spot impala, giraffe, buffalo, lion, and leopard, as well as hippo, buffalo, and elephant
- Alternatively, head to the malaria-free Madikwe Hills Private Game Lodge in Madikwe Game Reserve, home to the ‘Big 5’, the rare African wild dog, cheetah, eland, kudu, giraffe, and more than 300 species of birds
$10,324-$11,301 per person sharing in 2022
Easy Extensions to our luxury South Africa safari
- Hop on a direct flight from Kruger to Livingstone to explore Victoria Falls, or to Vilanculos, Mozambique for some rest and relaxation in the Bazaruto Archipelago.
Explore other itineraries
Combine safari, iconic Cape Town, Namibia's towering dunes
City life, wildlife, and white sand beaches
Cosmopolitan Cape Town and the Best of South African Safari
Unforgettable primate encounters, culture and luxurious lodging
Explore Medinas, Markets, Dunes, an Oasis, and the beautiful seaside of Essaouria
Whale-watching, Wine tasting and the Big 5