Nile cruises and soul-stirring gorilla and chimpanzee trekking on this extraordinary luxury Uganda safari
This Uganda itinerary is for travelers who want to see a different side of Africa. A boat cruise down the Nile allows you to gaze upon all manner of wildlife, from hippo and crocodiles to rare and elusive birds. After which, you’ll trek for gorillas and chimpanzees—both memorable, life-changing experiences. This extraordinary Uganda safari will also give you the option of taking part in a gorilla habituation experience, which allows you to spend even longer with these gentle giants.
Add to it all, overnight stays in show-stopping properties, a game drive, and the chance to see one of the continent's most spectacular waterfalls up close, and you have a trip to Africa unlike any other.
Extraordinary Encounters in Uganda: 11 Days/10 Nights
Extraordinary Encounters in Uganda trip highlights
- This 11-day fly-in Uganda luxury safari begins with an overnight stay at Hotel No 5 in Entebbe.
- From here, fly to Nile Safari Lodge in Murchison Falls National Park. See the spectacular cascade, where the entirety of the Nile River squeezes itself through a 25-foot cleft in the Rift Valley wall before tumbling more than 140 feet down with a thunderous roar.
- Cruise downstream to the Nile Delta, spotting elephant, hippo, crocodiles, and a dazzling variety of water birds. Go on a game drive and spot elephant, giraffe, buffalo, lion, leopard, hyena, and bat-eared fox.
- Fly to Kyaninga Lodge, near Kibale Forest National Park, to trek for chimpanzees, and spend one hour observing them.
- Fly to Bwindi Lodge, just outside Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. Trekking for mountain gorillas may be fairly strenuous, lasting from 30 minutes up to six hours at high altitudes, but the experience has been described as one of the most profound wildlife encounters in the world.
- See parts of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest that most people miss on a walk through the forest down to Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge (your luggage will go ahead by road). Enjoy a second gorilla trek, or take part in an exclusive four-hour gorilla habituation experience, where you’ll get a deeper understanding of gorilla behavior.
$17,400 - $21,550 per person sharing in 2024. Includes internal flights, two gorilla trekking permits, and one chimp trekking permit.
Optional: Gorilla habituation permit: $1,500 - $800
Optional activities in lieu of a second gorilla trek:
- Bwindi Forest walk = $70pp
- Buhoma community visit = $30 pp
- Batwa (Pygmies) visit = $85 pp
Note: The minimum age for trekking is 15 years.
Extraordinary Encounters in Uganda on a map
Explore other itineraries
Primates and White-Water Rafting on the Nile
Gorilla Trekking, The Big 5, And Conservation
Get out of your vehicle and explore on foot