Top safari experiences in Botswana & Zimbabwe geared toward young families
When you’re bringing young kids on safari, you have to do things a little differently. But if you do it right, every single member of the family will have the trip of a lifetime. This family-friendly luxury safari explores some of southern Africa's top highlights while staying in camps that embrace young travelers.
Cape Town offers loads of family-focused fun, with a township tour offering the opportunity to educate and inspire. From here, fly to Botswana and stay at an exclusive-use camp that’s geared toward kids, and on to Victoria Falls for some epic adventures. Finish with a safari in Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe’s premier game reserve, and travel from north to south via a fun train journey.
Family Fun Safari Across Southern Africa: 13 days/12 nights
DAYS 1, 2 & 3:
Arrive Cape Town, Victoria and Alfred Hotel
DAYS 4, 5 & 6:
Fly to Botswana, Young Explorers Program at Shinde Camp, Okavango Delta
DAYS 7 & 8:
Fly to Kasane, Batonka Guest Lodge in Victoria Falls
DAYS 9 & 10:
Drive to Hwange National Park, Nehimba Safari Lodge
DAYS 11 & 12:
Take a train and game-drive to Camelthorn Lodge
Return to Victoria Falls, depart
Family Fun Safari Across Southern Africa trip highlights
- This 13-day Southern Africa family safari starts in Cape Town, where you’ll stay at The Victoria and Alfred Hotel. Take a township tour with Uthando South Africa, our chosen charity in South Africa, and learn about their inspiring community projects. Drive to the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve via Chapman’s Peak, one of the world’s most breathtaking coastal drives, visit an African penguin breeding colony, and the world-renowned Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden.
- Fly to Maun, Botswana, and onward to Young Explorers at Footsteps Camp, an exclusive-use camp in Shinde Concession in the Okavango Delta. Explore the bush at your leisure as a family on 4x4 game drives, on foot, and by boat, while never losing sight of the fact that being in the wilderness is also about having fun!
- Fly to Kasane, from where you will be transferred to Batonka Guest Lodge in Victoria Falls. Take a sunset river safari in specially designed boats that can take passengers into the shallow water directly above the falls. Take a helicopter or microlight flight over the Falls, walk with a herd of elephants, take a canopy tour through rainforest, or simply enjoy some shopping in town.
- Drive to Nehimba Lodge in Hwange National Park, which is renowned for its large herds of elephant and buffalo as well as lion, leopard, wild dog, and cheetah. Game viewing experiences are tailor-made to each guest’s preferences and include game drives, and night drives in the camp's private concession in search of nocturnal wildlife.
- Board the Elephant Express, a train which runs along the eastern border of the park, and take a short game drive to Camelthorn Lodge. An underground blind has been camouflaged as a termite heap in front of a waterhole, and you can photograph elephants from toe level at a distance of 25 feet – such close proximity to Hwange's huge bulls is breathtaking.
- Transfer to Victoria Falls airport in time for your international departure. A short hopper flight is available at an additional cost.
$11,750 - $13,200 per adult; $8,400 - $9,450 per child.
Based on four persons sharing (two adults and two children under age 12) for travel in 2024.