Gorillas, Safari, and Beach: Across East Africa
Adventures in Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania
It’s difficult to pinpoint which part of this East Africa safari itinerary you’ll savor more – a once-in-a-lifetime encounter with the mountain gorillas in Uganda, described as one of the most profound natural history experiences in the world, or the opportunity to witness the great migration in two iconic game reserves, the Masai Mara in Kenya and the Serengeti in Tanzania.
After all that excitement, you’ll need a little downtime – and in a setting no less magical. The pavilion-style villas at Kilindi Zanzibar are complete with plunge pools and personal butlers, and overlook a stretch of pristine beach. Scuba dive, snorkel through coral reefs, swim with dolphins – or simply kick back next to the infinity pool, cocktail in hand.
East Africa safari: 13 days / 12 nights
Fly to Entebbe, Uganda; Protea Entebbe
DAYS 2 & 3:
Fly to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp
DAYS 4, 5 & 6:
Fly to the Masai Mara, Kenya; Sanctuary Olonana Camp
DAYS 7, 8 & 9:
Fly to Serengeti National Park, Tanzania; Sanctuary Kichikani Serengeti Camp
DAYS 10, 11 & 12:
Fly to Zanzibar, Kilindi Zanzibar
Return to Zanzibar airport, depart
- This 13-day fly-in East Africa safari starts with an overnight stay at the Protea Hotel in Entebbe. Explore the town on foot, stroll along the banks of Lake Victoria or through the Botanical Gardens, and visit Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- Fly to Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, which consists of just eight safari tents in the heart of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park. Meet the (female) entrepreneurs behind the Bwindi Bike Shop Program, then hop on two wheels to enjoy a ride through town with your guide
- Accompanied by a guide and trackers, hike through rainforest and bamboo covered slopes in search of a mountain gorilla family – a sometimes strenuous journey. Once found, you’ll spend one hour observing their behavior and interactions
- Fly to Entebbe and onward to Sanctuary Olonona Camp in the Masai Mara; visit during the migration to see the spectacular herds of wildebeest and zebra thundering by. Adventures include morning and evening game drives, balloon safaris, Maasai cultural visits, bird watching, and bush dinners
- Fly to Sanctuary Kichikani Serengeti Camp in Serengeti National Park. Depending on the time of year, the camp may be in the North to catch the migration herds on their journey across the Mara River heading into Kenya, or in the south for calving season across the emerald plains
- Fly to the tiny island of Zanzibar, which is an irresistible mix of Arabian and African culture. Chill out next to the infinity pool or on the beach at Elwana Kilindi Zanzibar, indulge in a spa treatment, take an unforgettable sunset dhow cruise
Starting at $10,171 per person sharing in 2020 plus gorilla permits
Note the minimum age for gorilla trekking is 15 years old
Give us a call and talk with one of our travel experts or fill in your details below and we will send you a link to your full itinerary.
Connect with your personal expert
Let us help you start planning a safari customized for you.