From the Remote North to the Legendary South
On our best East Africa safari itinerary, off-road adventure and authentic cultural interaction combine with the great migration to form an unforgettable safari.
Have breakfast with giraffes in Nairobi before heading to the traditional homeland of the Samburu people in Kenya’s vast northern region, for off-road game drives, night drives, and a night of fly-camping in the bush. Then, the legendary Masai Mara to catch giant herds of wildebeest in action – including the river crossings that make the migration so memorable.
Best East Africa safari: 10 days / 9 nights
Arrival Nairobi, overnight at Giraffe Manor
DAY 2, 3 & 4
Fly to Samburu National Reserve, Sasaab Lodge
DAY 5 & 6
Fly to Masai Mara National Reserve, Sala’s Camp
DAY 7, 8 & 9
Fly to Serengeti National Park, Lamai Serengeti
Fly to Kilimanjaro Airport to connect with your international departure
- This 10-day fly-in East Africa safari begins with an overnight at Giraffe Manor in Nairobi
- From here, fly to Sasaab Lodge in Samburu National Reserve, home to the colorful Samburu tribe, semi-nomadic pastoralists who have long shown tolerance for the wildlife that co-exists alongside their cattle. Go on game drives to search for Kenya’s classic big game in addition to the “Samburu Special 5”, unique desert adapted species found north of the equator, or camel treks, bush walks, quad biking, and cultural visits, or spend a night fly camping in the bush
- Next, fly to Sala’s Camp in Masai Mara National Reserve, which offers excellent wildlife and birdlife viewing year-round but it is also one of the first camps in the Mara to witness the legendary wildebeest migration, which thunders by from June to September each year
- Your next destination is Lamai Serengeti in Serengeti National Park, where the migration is on your doorstep between late July and October. Head to the crossing points on the Mara River to catch a glimpse of the wildebeest dodging crocs and hippo
- If you’re in a group or traveling as a family, round off your trip with a stay at the exclusive Mkombe’s House, which comes with its own team of private guides and house staff
$10,951-$14,669 per person sharing in 2022
- Continue your trip with some relaxation on the beach in Zanzibar or the shores of Lake Tanganyika where you can also see the chimpanzees. For a wilder adventure, why not fly to Rwanda to trek mountain gorillas?
Explore other itineraries
Explore the Serengeti's Big Cat Country and Majesty of Ngorongoro
Private Conservancies, Ultraluxe Lodges, Superlative Wildlife