From the remote north to the legendary south
On our best East Africa safari itinerary, off-road adventure and authentic cultural interaction combine with the Great Migration to form an unforgettable safari.
Have breakfast with giraffes in Nairobi before heading to the traditional homeland of the Samburu people in Kenya’s vast northern region, for off-road game drives, night drives, and a night of fly-camping in the bush. Then, the legendary Maasai Mara to catch giant herds of wildebeest in action—including the river crossings that make the migration so memorable.
People and Plains: a Tale of East Africa: 12 days/11 nights
DAYS 1 & 2:
Arrival Nairobi, overnight at Giraffe Manor
DAYS 3, 4 & 5:
Fly to Samburu National Reserve, Sasaab Lodge
DAYS 6, 7 & 8:
Fly to Masai Mara National Reserve, Sala’s Camp
DAYS 9, 10 & 11:
Fly to Serengeti National Park, Lamai Serengeti
Fly to Kilimanjaro Airport to connect with your international departure
People and Plains: a Tale of East Africa trip highlights
- This 12-day fly-in East Africa safari begins with two nights at Giraffe Manor in Nairobi, Kenya. Feed the giraffes from your breakfast table before enjoying a leisurely day exploring the city.
- From here, fly to Sasaab Lodge in Samburu National Reserve, home to the colorful Samburu tribe, semi-nomadic pastoralists who have long shown tolerance for the wildlife that co-exists alongside their cattle. Go on game drives to search for Kenya’s classic big game in addition to the “Samburu Special Five,” unique desert-adapted species found north of the equator, or camel treks, bush walks, quad biking, and cultural visits, or spend a night fly camping in the bush.
- Next, fly to Sala’s Camp the in Maasai Mara National Reserve, which offers excellent wildlife and birdlife viewing year-round, but it is also one of the first camps in the Mara to witness the legendary Great Migration, which thunders by from June to September each year. In addition to game drives and classic safari activities, make time for a game of "beach" volleyball one afternoon in the dry riverbed!
- Your next destination is Lamai Serengeti in Serengeti National Park (Tanzania), where the migration is on your doorstep between late July and October. Head to the crossing points on the Mara River to catch a glimpse of the wildebeest dodging crocs and hippo.
- If you’re in a group or traveling as a family, round off your trip with a stay at the exclusive Mkombe’s House, which comes with its own team of private guides and house staff.
- Fly to Kilimanjaro International Airport.
$14,400 - $21,950 per person sharing in 2024
People and Plains: a Tale of East Africa on a map
Continue your trip with some relaxation on the beach in Zanzibar or the shores of Lake Tanganyika, where you can also see the chimpanzees. For a wilder adventure, why not fly to Rwanda or Uganda to go gorilla trekking?
Explore other itineraries
Gorilla Trekking, The Big 5, And Conservation
Explore the Serengeti's Big Cat Country and Majesty of Ngorongoro
Private Conservancies, Ultraluxe Lodges, Superlative Wildlife