Exclusive-use luxury accommodations in Cape Town and two of South Africa's best safari destinations
A safari makes for the ideal family trip—all the details are taken care of behind the scenes, leaving you to spend quality time with your loved ones. Gather the kids and grandparents together—or a group of your favorite people—and create memories to last a lifetime in South Africa private villas.
We’ve chosen exclusive-use properties for this itinerary because they offer total flexibility, as well as staff dedicated to making your stay as special as possible. After an action-packed few days in Cape Town, fly to Greater Kruger for a classic safari to spot leopard, cheetah and large mammals before continuing your safari in the vast southern Kalahari, home to fascinating desert species not found elsewhere.
South Africa Private Villas: Cape Town, Kruger, and the Kalahari: 13 days/12 nights
South Africa Private Villas: Cape Town, Kruger, and the Kalahari trip highlights
- This 13-day luxury South Africa private villas safari itinerary starts in Johannesburg. Fly immediately to Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve, which shares an unfenced border with Kruger National Park and is renowned for some of the best game viewing in Africa.
- Stay in a private one-bedroom villa at Lion Sands Ivory Lodge, each of which enjoys a private plunge pool, air-conditioning, outdoor shower, and a cozy fireplace. Enjoy the riverscape, embark on twice-daily game drives, a walking safari, hot air balloon safari, a helicopter ride, or enjoy a massage. Game viewing here might include rhino, cheetah, lion, buffalo, and wild dog.
- Next, fly to cosmopolitan Cape Town, where you'll stay in an exclusive-use ocean facing villa at Ellerman House. Seated on a slope and enjoying panoramic Atlantic views, you'll feel as if you're hovering between the sea and sky.
- Enjoy the next few days exploring the "Mother City." Highlights might include exploring the fishing harbor of Kalk Bay, visiting a penguin colony, and taking a gentle hike in the Cape Peninsula Reserve. Visit Robben Island accompanied by Christo Brand, a former warden and friend of Nelson Mandela (depending on availability).
- Optional: Enjoy a full-day Cape Winelands experience. Start with a treasure hunt through the scenic Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve in the Franschhoek Mountains, before stopping at family-friendly wine estates where little explorers are not only warmly welcomed, but allowed to treat the farms as a playground.
- Depart Cape Town for the forested bushveld of Tswalu Kalahari Game Reserve in the southern Kalahari. At Tswalu Loapi Tented Camp, you're treated to total privacy, staying in a self-contained pavilion serviced by a private hospitality team that includes a chef.
- Characterized by vast grasslands, arid savanna, and spectacular mountains, the contrasting landscapes create a fuller picture of the country's incredible biodiversity. Get pampered in the spa and go on private game drives and horseback safaris, looking out for rare desert-adapted black rhino, the Kalahari black-maned lion, or a family of meerkats. Depending on the year and season, you might also participate in conservation activities like rhino notching alongside a veterinarian. Don't miss the opportunity to dine at Klein Jan.
- Fly to Johannesburg, depart for your return flight home or continue your adventure
$24,600 - $27,850 per person sharing in 2024
South Africa Private Villas: Cape Town, Kruger, and the Kalahari on a map
Explore other itineraries
Conservation and luxury go hand in hand in this classic Okavango Delta itinerary
Cape Town and a Safari in the Kruger
Private properties and exclusive experiences to suit all generations