Antarctic Expeditions & Cruises
Half the battle is knowing your options and where to start. Our goal at Extraordinary Journeys is to educate our clients about the possibilities in order to help them make the choice that best suits their interests and expectations. Below is a breakdown of what you can expect to see on traditional cruises and fly/cruises as well as ballpark costs. The next step will be to select the ship that’s the right fit for your travel style, dates and budget – give us a call and we’ll discuss all of the ship options together, as the list can be daunting!
- Classic Cruise to the Antarctic Peninsula – 11 to 12 Days: These cruises depart from Ushuaia, Argentina and cross the Drake Passage in both directions. Usually about 4 to 5 days are dedicated to exploring the South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula. / Starting price: $7,200 per person (excluding international flights).
- Crossing the Circle – 14 to 15 Days: These cruises are an extension of the Classic Cruise, including more days to navigate all the way to 66°33′ S – a highlight for many to cross the Antarctic Circle. Starting price: $9,000 per person (excluding international flights).
- Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica – 20 Days: These cruises appeal to those with more time and with an interest in seeing King penguins and some historically interesting islands. Depart from Ushuaia, Argentina and head east to spend a few days each visiting the Falkland Islands and South Georgia (with two days of cruising in between) before heading to the South Shetlands Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula. There is more time at sea on this itinerary; however, you get to see more of the surrounding islands and only have to cross the Drake Passage once, on your way back to Ushuaia. Starting price: $14,500 per person (excluding international flights).
*Shorten this itinerary by omitting the stop in the Falkland Islands – 16 Days / Starting price: $12,200 per person.
- Epic Journey: Crossing the Circle via Falklands and South Georgia – 23 Days: These cruises include it all! They are an extension of the 20-day voyage, including more days to navigate all the way to 66°33′ S – a true checkbox highlight. Starting price: $15,500 per person (excluding international flights).
- Snow Hill Island: Quest for Emperor Penguins – 11 Days: This true expedition takes you on a quest to see the coveted emperor penguins, although not every voyage is successful. Depart from Ushuaia and cross the Drake Passage by sea before entering the Weddell Sea via the Antarctic Sound. During your 4-day exploration of the eastern side of the Antarctic Peninsula, the goal is to land a helicopter on the ice on Snow Hill Island where you will walk 45 minutes to the emperor penguin rookery – a true feat if achieved. Starting price: $11,750 per person
If crossing the Drake Passage has prevented you from visiting Antarctica, then it’s time to visit the 7th Continent on a fly/cruise option. Skip the long voyage from Ushuaia and fly instead by charter plane from Punta Arenas, Chile to King George Island. From here, you’ll embark your ship and begin exploring the Antarctic Peninsula and surrounding islands fresh and steady! After your adventure at sea, you’ll fly back to Punta Arenas, never having to cross the potential “Drake Shake” – and you may have extra time on your vacation to explore some of South America, as well.
- Fly/Cruise to the Antarctic Peninsula – 8 to 9 Days: This express trip has you flying over the Drake Passage and dedicating your time at sea to exploring the South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula. / Starting price: $9,900 per person (excluding international flights).
*An even shorter option is available but includes a one-way Drake Passage crossing – 6-Days / Starting price: $4,800 per person (excluding international flights).
- Fly/Cruise to the Antarctic Peninsula and Cross the Circle – 10 to 11 Days: This longer option is an extension of the Fly/Cruise trip to the Antarctic Peninsula, including more days to navigate all the way to 66°33′ S – a highlight for many to cross the Antarctic Circle. Starting price: $12,200 per person (excluding international flights).
- Fly/Cruise to the Antarctic Peninsula and South Georgia – 16 Days: This cruise offers a bit of everything. Fly one-way from Punta Arenas, visit the Antarctic Peninsula before sailing to South Georgia to visit the massive King penguin colony before enjoying a more leisurely sail to Ushuaia and avoiding the Drake Passage. Starting price: $14,400 per person (excluding international flights).
Call us to review the multitude of ship options – we’ll help you pick the vessel and voyage that’s best for you!