Tanzania safari: Escape the crowds on Tanzania’s southern circuit
Tanzania’s southern parks tend to be overshadowed by iconic destinations to the north such as the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti, resulting in vast swathes of untouched wilderness that the adventurous traveler will find irresistible on this Tanzania safari.
This itinerary includes superb game viewing, including a fascinating cross-over between eastern and southern African species, and a boat safari that allows you to get thrillingly close to crocodile and hippo. Round off your trip with a walking safari, perhaps spending a night fly-camping along the riverbank – this is the very definition of off-the-beaten track Africa.
Tanzania safari: 9 days/8 nights
Highlights of our Tanzania safari
- This 9-day fly-in Tanzania safari starts with an overnight stay at the Serena Hotel in Dar Es Salaam
- From here, fly to Ikuka Safari Camp in Ruaha, Africa’s largest national park and one of the least visited. The exceptional wildlife found here includes large elephant and buffalo herds, as well as big cats, wild dog, and hyena, plus nearly 600 species of bird
- Fly next to Sand River Nyerere in Nyerere Game Reserve, where elephant, black rhino, lion, cheetah, wild dog, and giraffe flourish in a vast wilderness that’s been relatively undisturbed by human impact
- Nyerere is bisected by the Great Rifiji River which, together with its tributaries, creates a network of forests and woodlands around lagoons, sandbanks, and lakes. This allows for incredible boat safaris – there are few other places in Africa where you can get so close to hippos and crocodiles
- Activities here are tailored to suit each guest and include game drives, walking safaris, fishing, or boating. For a true adventure, spend one of your nights fly-camping along the river with your own private guide and chef
$7,900-$9,800 per person sharing in 2023
- From Dar Es Salaam, start or end your trip in Zanzibar for some time on the beach, or head onward to cosmopolitan Cape Town in South Africa. For a different adventure entirely, trek with chimps in the Mahale Mountains in Western Tanzania
Explore other itineraries
Private vehicles in prime migration areas across Tanzania and Kenya
Whale-watching, Wine tasting and the Big 5
Breathtaking Scenery and a Mobile Camp in the Serengeti