Explore big cat country in Tanzania's Serengeti and the majesty of the Ngorongoro Crater
This Tanzania big game luxury safari itinerary unfolds in two iconic destinations renowned for their density of year-round big game.
Spot the Big Five and endangered black rhino in the Ngorongoro Crater before moving on to the Serengeti. Escape the crowds by staying in a secluded area known for cheetah conservation research and lion activity, then head north to follow wildlife along the heralded Mara River. If you visit during the right season, you may witness the Great Migration, lauded as one of the most extraordinary wildlife experiences on Earth.
Manes & Plains: Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti: 10 days/9 nights
Arrival Kilimanjaro Airport, road transfer to Arusha, Arusha Coffee Lodge.
DAYS 2 & 3:
Drive to Kataru, Gibbs Farm
DAYS 4, 5 & 6:
Fly to the Eastern Serengeti, Namiri Plains Camp
DAYS 7, 8, & 9:
Fly to the Northern Serengeti, Serengeti Bushtops
Return to Kilimanjaro Airport for your flight home
Manes & Plains: Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti trip highlights
- This 10-day fly-in Tanzania big game safari starts with a night at Arusha Coffee Lodge, a working coffee plantation. Settle in after a long journey and enjoy a cup of the estate's specialty brew to jumpstart the day.
- Take a scenic drive along the Maasai Steppe to Lake Manyara, searching for tree-climbing lions and flamingos dotting the lake shores. Stay in a spacious cottage at Gibbs Farm in the northern highlands and spend a full day exploring the UNESCO World Heritage Ngorongoro Crater. The diversity of big game found here includes zebra, wildebeest, lion, gazelle, hippo, and elephant, as well as the endangered black rhino.
- Fly to Namiri Plains, set in a secluded part of the eastern Serengeti (you’re well over an hour away from your nearest neighbor) with an exceptional population of big cats, including lion and leopard. The camp frequently hosts cheetah researchers, and you can learn more about these magnificent animals over dinner.
- Lastly, fly to the eco-conscious and luxurious Serengeti Bushtops in the northern Serengeti. Explore the open plains on foot or on game drives, and you may witness the Great Migration depending on the time of year you visit. Travel outside of peak season and you’ll have the region nearly entirely to yourself.
- Fly back to Kilimanjaro International Airport.
$13,500 - $18,600 per person sharing in 2024
Manes & Plains on a map
Explore other itineraries
Private vehicles in prime migration areas across Tanzania and Kenya
Escape the crowds on Tanzania’s southern circuit
Private Conservancies, Ultraluxe Lodges, Superlative Wildlife