Tanzania Big Game Safari: Explore the Serengeti's Big Cat Country and Majesty of Ngorongoro
This Tanzania big game safari itinerary takes in two iconic destinations that are renowned for their density of big game year-round.
Spot the Big 5 and endangered black rhino in the Ngorongoro Crater, before moving onto the Serengeti. Escape the crowds by staying in a secluded area known for cheetah conservation research and lion activity then head north to follow wildlife along the heralded Mara River. What’s more, if you visit in season you may witness the great migration, heralded as one of the most extraordinary wildlife experiences on earth.
Tanzania big game safari: 11 days/10 nights
DAYS 1 & 2
Arrival Kilimanjaro Airport, road transfer to Arusha, Arusha Coffee Lodge.
DAYS 3 & 4
Drive to Kataru, Gibbs Farm
DAYS 5, 6 & 7
Fly to the Eastern Serengeti, Namiri Plains Camp
DAYS 8, 9 & 10
Fly to the Northern Serengeti, Lemala Kuria Hills Lodge
Return to Kilimanjaro Airport for your flight home
- This 10-day fly-in Tanzania big game safari starts with two nights at Arusha Coffee Lodge in Arusha. Visit a local coffee farm, keep jetlag at bay with a hike around the base of Mount Kilimanjaro or a round of golf, or visit a local village with an NGO and learn more about their community projects
- Take a scenic drive along the Masaai Steppe to Lake Manyara, searching for tree climbing lions and flamingos dotting the lake shores. Stay in a spacious cottage at Gibbs Farm in the northern highlands and spend a full day exploring the UNESCO World Heritage Ngorongoro Crater. The diversity of big game found here includes zebra, wildebeest, lion, gazelle, hippo, and elephant, as well as the endangered black rhino
- Fly to Namiri Plains, set in a secluded part of the eastern Serengeti (you’re well over an hour away from your nearest neighbor) with an exceptional population of big cats, including lion and leopard. The camp frequently hosts cheetah researchers, and you can learn more about these magnificent animals over dinner
- Lastly, fly to the eco-conscious and luxurious Lemala Kuria Hills Lodge in the northern Serengeti. Explore the open plains on foot or on game drives, and you may witness the migration depending on the time of year you visit. Travel outside of peak season and you’ll have the region nearly entirely to yourself
$10,218-$12,897 per person sharing in 2020
- Continue your adventure with a stop in Kenya's Masai Mara, gorilla trekking in Rwanda, or time on the beach in Zanzibar
Explore other itineraries
Private vehicles in prime migration areas across Tanzania and Kenya
Escape the crowds on Tanzania’s southern circuit
Private Conservancies, Ultraluxe Lodges, Superlative Wildlife
Give us a call and talk with one of our travel experts or fill in your details below and we will send you a link to your full itinerary.
Connect with your personal expert
Let us help you start planning a safari customized for you.