Gorilla trekking, the Big Five, and conservation
No wildlife encounter on Earth can compare to standing a few meters from a group of mountain gorillas going about their daily lives in the wild. In fact, it’s such a magical experience that we’ve built in two opportunities to observe these magnificent creatures on this luxury Rwanda safari.
Not only will you visit the gorillas in Volcanoes National Park, we’ve included a stop at Akagera National Park, one of Africa’s greatest conservation success stories and home to the Big Five. Round off your stay with some time in vibrant Kigali, where you’ll discover first-hand the incredible progress the country has made despite its turbulent past.
Remarkable Rwanda: Lush Mountains and Expansive Plains: 8 days/7 nights
Remarkable Rwanda: Lush Mountains and Expansive Plains trip highlights
- This eight-day fly-in luxury Rwanda safari starts with an overnight stay at Heaven Retreat in Kigali.
- Drive to Magashi Camp in Akagera National Park, home to one of Africa’s highest hippo densities, as well as the Big Five. Enjoy day and night game drives, boating, and catch-and-release fishing. Your stay contributes to the park becoming economically self-sufficient.
- Take a scenic helicopter flight to Bisate Lodge, just outside Volcanoes National Park. The lodge funds a number of local conservation and community projects, and you can visit Bisate village, where most of the staff are from, or spend the afternoon hiking in nearby hills.
- Your gorilla trek starts early the next morning. Under the supervision of park rangers, you’ll be guided to a troop of gorillas. Once sighted, you’ll have the opportunity to spend an hour observing these fascinating primates up close.
- The following morning, you’ll have the option to go for a second gorilla trek, or a trek to see the golden monkeys that make their home in the park.
- Spend your last afternoon exploring Kigali, including a visit to the Genocide Memorial, shopping at an open-air market, art gallery or curio shop, or enjoying a coffee masterclass and tasting.
$17,500 - $21,750 per person sharing in 2024. 1 gorilla permit and 1 golden monkey permit are included in the price.
Domestic Rwandair flight Kamembe to Kigali to be booked directly by client.
Note: the minimum age for trekking is 15 years.
Remarkable Rwanda: Lush Mountains and Expansive Plains on a map
Explore other itineraries
Travel across East Africa from Uganda to Kenya, Tanzania, ending on the beach
Explore two of Zambia's Iconic Parks and Diverse Activities
Iconic safari experiences and authentic accommodation
Big game, the migration, and authentic cultural interactions from some of Tanzania's most polished...
Combine your stay in Kigali with an additional safari in Tanzania’s Serengeti or Kenya's Maasai Mara. Or, head south to Cape Town to book-end your trip with a final safari in South Africa, Botswana, or perhaps a walking safari in Zambia’s South Luangwa. If you’d prefer to spend more time in Rwanda, add on a stop for chimp trekking in Nyungwe National Park at the luxurious One & Only.