Getting out of the vehicle and into the bush on this adventurous Kenya safari
The quintessential safari experience involves twice-daily game drives and relaxing afternoons in camp. On this varied itinerary, travelers get out of the Land Cruiser and into the bush. This adventure includes a camel trekking, horseback riding, mountain biking, a helicopter ride over Lake Turkana in Laikipia, and the unique opportunity to join a lion tracking project in the Mara.
The accommodations on this itinerary are all located on private conservancies, which means you’ll be able to drive off-road and go on night drives—experiences you won't get in a national park or reserve. Round out the experience with a walking safari through the bush and an overnight stay in a fly camp hosted by your Maasai guide—a truly unforgettable, back-to-nature experience.
Kenya: Culture & Adventure Across the Plains: 9 days/8 nights
DAYS 4 & 5:
Fly to Mara Naboisho Conservancy, Kicheche Valley Camp
Walk through Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Kicheche Fly Camp
DAYS 7 & 8:
Walk through Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Kicheche Bush Camp
Return to Wilson Airport and on to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
Kenya: Culture & Adventure Across the Plains trip highlights
- This nine-day fly-in safari begins at Ol Malo Lodge in Laikipia, where you have the chance to spot some of Kenya’s highest populations of endangered species, including black rhino, Grévy's zebra, reticulated giraffe, and possibly wild dog.
- Choose from camel or horse safaris, walking safaris, mountain biking, and immersion into the local Samburu culture. Take a scenic helicopter flight over Lake Turkana’s other-worldly landscapes, looking out for flocks of flamingos (helicopter flights not included).
- Fly from here to Kicheche Valley Camp in Mara Naboisho Conservancy for the largest population of giraffe in the Mara, as well as lion, cheetah, and elephant, and the opportunity to join a lion tracking project.
- Take a walking safari through Olare Motorogi Conservancy, accompanied by a Maasai guide and an armed ranger, and stay overnight in Kicheche Fly Camp.
- Continue on foot to Kicheche Bush Camp, where you can take a hot air balloon ride, look for baboons, elephants, buffaloes, hippo, or leopards, and visit a local village
$10,050 - $12,350 per person sharing in 2024
Kenya: Culture & Adventure Across the Plains on a map
Explore other itineraries
Unforgettable primate encounters, culture and luxurious lodging
Primates and White-Water Rafting on the Nile
Breathtaking Scenery and a Mobile Camp in the Serengeti