Explore two iconic parks and diverse activities on this Zambia luxury walking safari
Walking safaris were pioneered in Zambia's South Luangwa National Park, and this 35,000-square-mile expanse of wilderness remains one of the best places in Africa to take in the unforgettable sights, sounds, and smells of the bush on foot.
After walking between three small bush camps in South Luangwa, finish your safari with some pampering at a luxurious lodge in Lower Zambezi National Park. As well as exciting off-road and night game drives, you can embark on canoeing and boating excursions along the Zambezi River.
Exploring Zambia: Walking and Waterways: 12 days/11 nights
DAYS 2 & 3:
Walk (or drive) to Chindeni Bushcamp
DAYS 4 & 5:
Walk (or drive) to Bilimungwe Bushcamp
DAYS 6 & 7:
Walk (or drive) to Kapamba Bushcamp
DAYS 8, 9, 10 & 11:
Fly to the Lower Zambezi National Park, Old Mondoro
Fly to Lusaka, depart
Exploring Zambia: Walking and Waterways trip highlights
- This 12-day Zambia luxury walking safari starts in Lusaka, from where you’ll fly to South Luangwa National Park. Mfuwe Lodge overlooks a lagoon that attracts abundant wildlife, including leopard and lion, and the river is home to hippos, crocodiles, and wading waterfowl. Late in the season, elephants are known to saunter through the lobby.
- A walk or transfer through the park will get you started at the rustic-luxe and remote Chindeni Bushcamp, which consists of just four stilted chalets set on a permanent lagoon. Bush walks and day and night game drives explore the nearby N'Chindeni Hills. Be on the lookout for large concentrations of wildlife, or simply sit back and enjoy the views from the deck.
- Continue walking or drive to Bilimungwe Bushcamp. With the open waters of the Luangwa River on your doorstep and a nearby plain where leopard prowl, this is a nature-lovers paradise. Have a sunrise breakfast in a secret spot or dinner under the stars in the boma.
- Your final tented camp is Kapamba Bushcamp (walk or drive). There are just four reed-and-thatch rooms here, and camp is centered around a busy waterhole. Game drives, armchair safaris, bush walks, and a wildlife hide are splendid ways to pass the days.
- Return to Mfuwe Airstrip for your direct flight to the Lower Zambezi National Park and enjoy a short game drive en route to Old Mondoro. A fenceless camp, plentiful game roams through, waterbuck, baboons, buffalo, and elephants being the most common visitors. The Big Five are present in South Luangwa (except rhino) and notable species include Thornicroft giraffe and Crawshay zebra. Embark on twice daily off-road and night game drives, walking safaris, canoeing, and catch-and-release angling for tigerfish while soaking in the sights and sounds of one of the most beautiful parts of southern Africa.
$12,700 - $16,050 per person sharing in 2024
Exploring Zambia: Walking and Waterways on a map
Spend a couple of nights in Cape Town, South Africa, to help ease your transition from bush back to reality. The city provides an exciting mix of activities to appeal to the broadest of tastes. Or, fly to Victoria Falls from the Lower Zambezi to continue your journey luxury Zambia safari.
Explore other luxury safari itineraries
Incredible Game, Conservation, and Community Upliftment
Cape Town, Winelands & Safari in the Eastern Cape, Visit Cape Town, the winelands and enjoy...
Incredible wildlife and plenty of adventure