Pyramids, temples, and a far-flung desert oasis frozen in time
There’s a long list of sights that an Egypt visitor should see, and this itinerary includes the highlights—with a dash of adventure. It's the ideal journey for culturally curious active travelers.
Delve into the mysteries, monuments, and religion of the ancient Egyptians by visiting the pyramids at Giza, the temples at Karnak and Luxor, and the Valley of the Kings. After an overnight stay in Alexandria, you’ll make an expedition to the desert oasis of Siwa, a place inhabited by Egypt’s only Berbers, that feels frozen in time.
Adventure in Egypt: 12 days/11 nights
DAYS 1 & 2:
Arrive in Cairo and transfer to Giza, Marriott Mena House
DAYS 3 & 4:
Drive to Alexandria, Steigenberger Cecil Hotel
DAYS 5, 6 & 7:
Drive to Siwa Oasis, Adrere Amellal Ecolodge
DAYS 8 & 9:
Drive to Cairo, St. Regis Cairo
DAYS 10 & 11:
Fly to Luxor, Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor
Fly to Cairo, depart
Adventure in Egypt trip highlights
- This 11-day luxury Egypt itinerary starts with two nights at Marriott Mena House, situated less than half a mile from Giza Plateau. Explore the Great Pyramid of Khufu, Sphinx, Solar Boat Museum, and much more alongside your expert private guide.
- Travel by car to Alexandria, the fascinating Mediterranean port city founded by Alexander the Great in 332 B.C. Enjoy a tour of the city which includes the rebuilt (and very modern) library, and stay overnight at the landmark Steigenberger Cecil Hotel, which dates back to 1929.
- Drive eight hours to Siwa Oasis, accompanied by a police escort some of the way. Here, simple mudbrick houses are set along winding dirt roads, the main mode of transport is by donkey cart, and locals wear traditional dress. Take an adrenalin-fuelled 4x4 ride over the Sea of Great Sand, and soak in the sulfurous springs of Bir Wahed, and stay at the atmospheric Adrere Amellal Ecolodge, set under a towering limestone cliff just outside town.
- Drive back to Cairo with an optional stop en route in Alamein, a World War II battle site, making the St. Regis your home while exploring the city.
- Spend the morning at the Egyptian Museum, which houses the celebrated treasures of Tutankhamun and the Royal Mummy Room. Stroll in the Khan el Khalili bazaar, and take a walk through medieval Cairo, including a visit to the magnificent 13th-century Mosque of Sultan Hassan.
- Fly to Luxor and head straight to the Karnak Temple Complex. In the evening, you’ll explore Luxor Temple—an especially dramatic sight by night—before an overnight stay at the Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor.
- Visit the Necropolis of Thebes on the West Bank of the Nile. Your visit will take you to the Colossi of Memnon, the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut at Deir El-Bahari, and the Valley of the Kings—home of the tomb of King Tutankhamun.
$12,000 per person sharing in 2024. Price varies by date and availability.
Adventure in Egypt itinerary map
Continue your adventure along the water in Aswan. Enjoy slower-paced days walking the colorful streets of the surrounding Nubian villages and admiring the scenery from your Nile-front hotel with authentic Felucca sunset cruises each evening.
Explore other itineraries
People, Deserts and Palaces of the Golden Triangle and Beyond
Exploring Egypt's Ancient Treasures; Cruise the Nile River
Escape the crowds on Tanzania’s southern circuit