Old-School Zambian adventure in owner-run camps
This itinerary gets back to basics, embracing the simplicity of an old-school safari and the belief that there is no one more passionate about a camp than its owners.
Begin your adventure in Kafue National Park where camp owners Phil Jeffery & Tyrone McKeith personally guide guests on safari through the landscapes surrounding Paradise Plains. Then, soak in the majesty of the Lower Zambezi over four nights on the ultimate camp-out experience. We pair Tusk & Mane's Chula Island Camp (new in 2021) and Kutali Camp where you'll enjoy game drives, canoeing, boat safaris, fishing, and walking alongside owners Kyle Branch or Luke Evans. Conclude your trip in South Luangwa with a splash of polish (Zambian style), where a meal with your feet in the cooling waters of the Luangwa River watching elephant drink hits the perfect note of luxury and adventure.
Back to Nature Safari: 11 Days / 10 Nights
DAYS 1, 2, & 3:
Fly Lusaka to Lufupa Airstrip, overnights Musekese Camp
DAYS 4 & 5:
Fly to Lusaka and then Jeki Airstrip, overnights Tusk & Mane Chula Island Camp
DAYS 6 & 7:
Boat safari to Tusk & Mane Kutali Camp
DAYS 8 & 9:
Fly to Mfuwe, overnights Chindeni
Transfer to Kapamba
Guests go on a private walking tour at sunset across the tides of the Luangwa River. © Bushcamp Company
Highlights of a Back to Nature Safari
- This 11-day itinerary begins in Lusaka, Zambia, from where you’ll take an onward light aircraft flight into Kafue National Park, one of the largest in the whole of Africa. Meet Musekese's owners (and guides!) on arrival and explore this pristine part of Zambia on day and night game drives, boat safaris and walking safaris. Watch wildlife like impala and zebra from the breakfast table overlooking the Paradise Plains in front of camp before heading out for the lion and leopard along the Lafupa River.
- Fly to Lusaka and then into the Lower Zambezi to continue your safari with four nights of luxury fly-camping with your Tusk & Mane owners and guides. Your time in the Lower Zambezi begins at Chula Camp where walking, boating, and canoeing are your primary means for wildlife viewing. Soak in sunsets along the water and an endless parade of elephants through camp.
- A game drive vehicle will pick you up at water's edge and take you downriver to Tusk & Mane's Kutali Camp. Enjoy game drives, boating, walking, and catch and release fishing for two more nights.
- Fly to Mfuwe for your final nights on safari in 'The Valley of the Leopard', South Luangwa National Park at the polished Chindeni Bushcamp. On game drives and walking safaris, head out in search of leopard, lion, wild dog, Thornicroft's giraffe, hyena and more.
- Walk part way (or drive) to Kapamba Camp where sundowners with your feet in the water mark the end to a magnificent adventure in Zambia.
$12,500 per person sharing 1 July - 14 November 2023
Spend a final night in Lusaka at the end of your journey or continue on to Victoria Falls where adrenaline activities and the roar of the Falls awaits.
Other Southern Africa itineraries to explore
Zimbabwe’s Hidden Gems
Unique and diverse experiences across Zimbabwe
Zambia & Zimbabwe: Barefoot Luxury Adventure
Prime wildlife locations, activities, and adventure
Exploring Zambia: Walking and Waterways
Explore two of Zambia's Iconic Parks and Diverse Activities
Remote Zambia On Foot
Explore South & North Luangwa on game drives and walking safari
Primates and Lakes: Gorillas, Monkeys, and Adventure in Rwanda
Unforgettable primate encounters, culture and luxurious lodging
Perfect Morocco: Souks, Sahara & Sea
Explore Medinas, Markets, Dunes, an Oasis, and the beautiful seaside of Essaouria
Wine, Whales, and Safari
Whale-watching, Wine tasting and the Big 5