Southern Africa conservation safari: from desert to delta in Namibia and Botswana
The magic of this Southern Africa safari itinerary lies as much in the properties we’ve chosen as the awe-inspiring landscapes and wildlife you’ll encounter.
Stay in one of just six tents that blend into the stark landscape of Namibia’s remote Hoanib Valley, and a cabin designed to resemble the shipwrecks lining the nearby shore on the iconic Skeleton Coast. Take a walk with Bushmen and explore by boat at a tented camp along Botswana’s Boteti River, and finish your safari with game drives, mokoro excursions, and guided river walks on a private reserve set on wildlife-rich floodplains.
Southern Africa conservation safari: 14 days / 13 nights
DAYS 1, 2 & 3:
Fly from Windhoek in Namibia to Hoanib Valley, Hoanib Valley Camp
DAYS 4 & 5:
Drive to the Skeleton Coast, Shipwreck Lodge
Fly to Windhoek, Olive Exclusive Boutique Hotel
DAYS 7, 8 & 9:
Fly to Maun, Botswana and transfer to Makgadikgadi Pans National Park, Meno a Kwena Tented Camp
DAYS 10, 11, 12 & 13:
Fly from Maun to Khwai Private Reserve, Sable Alley
Return to Maun, depart
- This 14-day fly-in Southern Africa conservation safari starts in Windhoek in Namibia, from where you’ll board a scheduled bush flight to the remote Hoanib Valley Camp, an eco-conscious camp created as a joint venture between local communities and the Giraffe Conservation Foundation. Go for nature walks and game drives to track desert adapted lion, elephant, and giraffe; track rhino on foot; and spend time with the Herero people
- Drive to Shipwreck Lodge on Namibia's windswept Skeleton Coast, where you can visit a seal colony with a stop at two shipwrecks along the way. Spend the next day quad biking or sand boarding across the dunes, , take a 4x4 drive along the Hoarusib river canyon to see fascinating ‘clay castle’ formations, or have a relaxing picnic lunch on the beach (weather permitting)
- Fly back to Windhoek for a night at the ultra-luxurious Olive Exclusive Boutique Hotel and enjoy a day exploring the capital city
- Fly to Maun, Botswana, and transfer to Meno a Kwena Tented Camp in Makgadikgadi Pans National Park in the northern reaches of the Kalahari Desert. Venture out on game drives in search of the seasonal zebra migration, cultural safaris and walks with the ancient Bushmen, take a river cruise along the Boteti River, sleep out under the stars (May-September), and view wildlife at eye-level from a floating hide
- Return to Maun for your light aircraft flight to the pristine wilderness of the Khwai Private Reserve, where you’ll stay at Sable Alley, a sophisticated and sustainable camp where proceeds go to local communities and wildlife initiatives. Head out on morning and evening game drives and mokoro trips, and watch large herds of plains game, elephant, and buffalo coming to drink
$13,245-$19,087 per person sharing in 2020
Explore other itineraries
Combine safari, iconic Cape Town, Namibia's towering dunes
Dramatic landscapes, stylish accommodation, and desert-adapted wildlife
Cape Town, Winelands & Safari in the Eastern Cape, Visit Cape Town, the winelands and enjoy...
Give us a call and talk with one of our travel experts or fill in your details below and we will send you a link to your full itinerary.
Connect with your personal expert
Let us help you start planning a safari customized for you.