Scenic South African Road Trip and Safari
Hitting the open road across the storied Garden Route on this South Africa safari
South Africa is one of the world’s best road trip destinations. Well-maintained roads, ever-changing landscapes, wide open spaces, and an abundance of things to see and do on this South Africa safari.
After a few days taking in Cape Town’s delights, jump in your rental car and hit the open road, visiting wine estates, quaint historic towns, and a coastal nature reserve before reaching Port Elizabeth. Finish your trip on safari – a malaria-free one at that – on a private game reserve in the semi-desert expanse of the Karoo.
South Africa safari: 13 days/12 nights
DAYS 1, 2 & 3
Arrive Cape Town, Gorgeous George
Drive to Robertson, The Robertson Small Hotel
DAYS 5 & 6
Drive to DeHoop Nature Reserve, Lekkerwater Beach Lodge
DAYS 7 & 8
Drive to Knysna, Kanonkop House
Drive to Port Elizabeth, The Windermere
DAYS 10, 11 & 12
Drive to Amakhala Game Reserve, HillsNek Safaris
Drive to Port Elizabeth, depart
Highlights of this South Africa safari
- This 13-day itinerary starts at the Gorgeous George boutique hotel in Cape Town. Take a walking food tour and climb Table Mountain, perhaps with a luxury glamping overnight stay at the top, before descending by cable car
- From here, set off on a road trip down Route 62, stopping along the way at wine estates and staying overnight in the Robertson Small Hotel in the quaint historic town of Robertson
- Drive to Lekkerwater Beach in DeHoop Nature Reserve and Lodge, which offers some of the world's best land-based whale watching from July to November. See playful dolphins year-round, go on marine explorations, walk to caves and rock pools, and visit a Cape vulture colony
- Continue your drive along South Africa's Garden Route or head inland to reconnect with the R62 via Oudtshoorn, the ostrich capital of the world. Explore the impressive Cango Caves before turning back south for a coastal drive to Knysna and the charming Kanonkop House
- Drive to Port Elizabeth, where you’ll stay at The Windermere, a boutique hotel in the trendy beach suburb of Humewood. Explore the Tsitsikamma National Forest en route and Addo Elephant National Park, which is inhabited by hundreds of elephants. Jump on a boat tour to spot rare seabirds and whales
- Head to the family-run Amakhala Private Game Reserve in the Karoo for a malaria-free safari at HillsNek Safari Camp. Enjoy game drives searching for the Big 5, guided walks, a river cruise, or a night drive
$3,643-$4,722 per person sharing in 2020
Explore other itineraries
Cosmopolitan Cape Town and the Best of South African Safari
Whale-watching, Wine tasting and the Big 5
A malaria-free safari and time in Cape Town
Give us a call and talk with one of our travel experts or fill in your details below and we will send you a link to your full itinerary.
Connect with your personal expert
Let us help you start planning a safari customized for you.