Discover two of Colombia’s iconic cities and natural beauty of the coffee region.
Getting a real taste for Colombia means experiencing both the contemporary culture and rich history of its cities, as well as unwinding in its natural havens. Spend a few days discovering the museums, galleries, and lauded restaurants of Bogotá, riding a cable car up to the top of Monserrate (a mountain that rises over 10,000 feet towering above the city center of Bogotá) for sprawling views of the city and making a day trip out to Zipaquira to visit one of the country’s most famous salt cathedrals.
Then, leave the bustle of Bogotá behind and fly into Colombia’s coffee region, a land of lush, rolling green hills marked by a slow, pastoral pace. You’ll check into a traditional hacienda for three nights, explore the landscape on a morning hike, and of course, savor the flavors of the region on coffee and cacao tours. End the trip in one of our favorite Colombian cities, Cartagena—the country’s Caribbean coastal paradise. Explore the city on an expertly guided walking tour and spend a day with your toes in the sand on a private beach on one of the city’s coastal islands.
Who is a luxury Highlights of Colombia trip best for?
The Highlights of Colombia itinerary is perfect for first-time travelers to Colombia, as it hits the country's top destinations in just one trip. Colombia is also a wonderful family destination, and activities in both cities and the coffee region can be tailored for young kids or more active high-schoolers. Fun fact: did you know that the featured Hacienda Bambusa was the inspiration for the Disney movie Encanto? La Casa Madrigal is a direct likeness of the estate, and some Bambusa staff even served as inspiration for Encanto characters. Those without kids will enjoy the gorgeous views, fantastic farm-to-table dining, and romantic spa on the estate.
Highlights of Colombia trip highlights
- Begin your Colombia adventure in Bogotá, where you’ll check into the stylish Four Seasons Hotel Bogotá. Spend a couple of days discovering culture spots like the Botero Museum—a modern art museum named after famous Colombian artist Fernando Botero —as well as the Candelaria neighborhood, which is full of colorful buildings with an eclectic mix of architectural styles dating back to the 1500s.
- Take a day trip out to Zipaquira, where you’ll visit Colombia’s famous Salt Cathedral. Declared the first Wonder of Colombia, the atmospheric underground Catholic cathedral is housed in a monumental salt mine with a history dating back to Pre-Columbian times.
- Fly into Colombia’s coffee region, where you’ll get out into nature and get a taste for countryside life. Hacienda Bambusa is your home for three nights, where you’ll set out on morning hikes, lunchtime cooking classes, and afternoon cacao and coffee tours.
- Arrive in Cartagena and check in to Casa San Agustin, ending the day with a private walking tour and a cocktail or glass of wine with a view of the sea perched high above Old Town from Cafe Del Mar. The bar’s outdoor terrace is located on top of the city’s historic stone walls. You’ll also spend a day exploring the vibrant neighborhood of Getsemani, which overflows with eclectic bars, restaurants, and galleries.
- Escape the buzz of the city for the day by boating 45 minutes out to Acasi, a private beach on the island of Barú. Reserved exclusively for guests of Casa San Agustin, you’ll immerse yourself in the serenity of nature for the day on a sandy beach complete with a shaded cabana and loungers, a full kitchen, and outdoor showers, and hammocks in the trees. You’ll also enjoy Cartagena’s classic cuisine such as fresh fruit, lobster empanadas, and seafood paella next to turquoise water while sipping on sparkling wine or local beers (the hotel will pre-pack the cooler with your drink of choice). Feel like getting active? There’s snorkeling gear and kayaks too.
Contact us for pricing and to connect with your personal travel expert
Explore other itineraries
Explore the dynamic culture of Colombia's cities and unwind on pristine beaches.
Discover Cartagena, from the city to the sea—the perfect (extra) long weekend break.
Savor culture, coffee, and nature on this trip covering Colombia’s major cities, a beach break,...