Congo Basin Discovery – Republic of Congo and Central African Republic
Congo Basin safari: Gorilla tracking and outdoor adventure
While on a Congo Basin safari you'll travel to pristine rainforest in the heart of the Congo Basin and spend a week alternating between three innovative new camps in Odzala-Kokoua National Park, plus a cruise down the Sangha River into the Central African Republic with your stay directly supporting conservation efforts.
Twenty percent of the world’s remaining western lowland gorillas live here. Engage with renowned primatologists, take part in two gorilla habituation exercises, hike to see wild chimpanzees, and explore unique ecosystems and wildlife on game drives and kayaking expeditions. At Sangha Lodge, venture out for a Dzanga Baï visit, Ba’Aka (pygmy) experience, waterfall hike, valley of the giants, sundowners on the river, interactions with onsite pangolin researchers.
Round off your trip with a visit to Kinshasa’s unique Sapeurs, who take high fashion to the next level.
Congo Basin Safari: 13 days / 12 nights
Arrival Brazzaville, with an overnight at the Radisson Blu
Fly to Odzala-Kokoua National Park, Ngaga Camp
DAYS 5 & 6:
Travel by road to Mboko Camp and then kayak to Lango Camp
Take a river cruise or kayak to Mboko Camp
Fly to Kabo and take the 4-6 hour boat journey up the Sangha River to the Central African Republic, Sangha Lodge
Return to Kabo by boat and a flight to Mboko Camp
Fly to Brazzaville and meet the famous Sapeurs
- This 13-day fly-in safari begins with an overnight at the Radisson Blu in the capital city of Brazzaville, which has a thriving arts scene, great restaurants, and fabulously friendly locals
- Take a scheduled charter flight to Ngaga Camp in Odzala-Kokoua National Park, which was originally founded as a center for primate research. The team currently based here includes the primatologist Magdalena Bermejo, a world authority on the western lowland gorilla, and you’ll have the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of these magnificent creatures
- Your next two mornings will begin with tracking gorillas in the early stages of habituation, a completely different experience to Rwanda or Uganda. Later in the afternoon, head out on a forest walk for bird watching, river sundowners, or a night walk to view nocturnal forest life
- Travel by road through Mbomo village to Mboko Camp, arriving in time for lunch, then kayak along the waterways before walking upstream to Lango Camp. Guided morning kayaks on the Lekoli River, dips in the Lango Bai, hikes, game drives, and forest walks are all incredible ways explore this teeming wildlife area
- Head by river cruise to Mboko Camp, set in an area frequented by forest elephant, forest buffalo, and spotted hyena, and abundant in flowers and butterflies (depending on the season). Head out on game drives, walk the adventure trails along the edge of the forest, and take in some of the most spectacular stargazing in the world
- Fly to Kabo and take the 4-6 hour boat journey up the Sangha River to the Central African Republic. Sangha Lodge activities include Dzanga Baï visit, Ba’Aka (pygmy) experience, waterfall hike, interactions with onsite pangolin researchers, and more.
- Return to Kabo by boat and a last activity at Mboko Camp.
- You may need to spend one final night in Brazzaville before playing home. We highly recommend a tour to meet some of the fashion-obsessed Sapeurs of nearby Kinshasa
$14,855 per person sharing
The minimum age for gorilla trekking is 16
Explore other itineraries
Give us a call and talk with one of our travel experts or fill in your details below and we will send you a link to your full itinerary.
Connect with your personal expert
Let us help you start planning a safari customized for you.