Chobe Game Lodge, in Chobe National Park, Botswana is a great option for larger groups of travelers. The Lodge has 47 rooms and suites, is located along the banks of the Chobe River and is one of the only lodges inside the world-renowned Chobe National Park. Chobe Game Lodge is also pioneering some really interesting eco-friendly initiatives and recently received the Ecotourism Facility Certification rating which is the highest level of certification offered by the Botswana Tourism Board and is one of only a handful of properties in with this rating.
Some of Chobe Game Lodge’s eco-friendly projects that helped earn this rating include:
- An elevated Boardwalk and viewing deck made from recycled timber plastics (over 1.6 Million plastic bags went into the making of the boardwalk)
- The largest Above Ground Closed Sewage Treatment plant of all tourism operations in Botswana (treating harmful grey water through Bio-Ozonation, turning it into irrigation water)
- Only 5% of waste is safely disposed of in the local landfill site so the lodge has decided to recycle all glass bottles on-site by crushing and converting them to innovative and strong ‘glass bricks’
- A new BioGas plant due to open soon will generate methane from biodegradable waste usable in the kitchens as cooking gas
- Chobe Game Lodge has also developed one of the most successful Youth Training Programs. Since 2006 the lodge has trained more than 156 trainees and employed 42 permanently. Some trainees left to further their careers in the hospitality industry from the experienced they gained while taking part in the program.
- NEW! In November 2014 they became the first lodge in Botswana to have 100% electric game vehicles!
These are all really exciting developments and if you want to learn more while visiting the lodge they offer a behind-the-scenes tour of the eco-friendly systems in place.
Responsible and Inclusive Tourism:
These efforts at Chobe Game Lodge highlight its is a leader in responsible tourism in Botswana. In addition to achieving the coveted Ecotourism Facility Certification, women represent more than 65% of the lodge’s workforce, including an all-female guiding team the majority of whom have been trained at the lodge. Desert and Delta has an extensive training program for local staff, priortizes promoting from within and has a shared profits scheme for all staff. The lodge has also committed to “inclusive tourism” for persons with disabilities, an effort which encompasses increasing the handicapped accessibility of its properties and providing training to and hiring local staff with disabilities (read more about these efforts here).
Chobe Game Lodge Accommodation and Facilities:
The lodge is newly renovated (as of 2015) accommodates up to 94 guests in rooms that are river-facing and include minibars, en-suite bathrooms and private terraces. Four exclusive suites have their own plunge pools and separate lounges. Other facilities include a fully equipped conference room seating up to 90 people, broadband internet, billiards, library, gym, beauty salon, a stylish cigar bar overlooking the Chobe River, a large terraced swimming pool and riverside boma area. Safari activities include game drives, game-viewing in small, 12-person boats, sunset cruises along the Chobe River and after-dinner stargazing.